Car accidents could result in serious injuries, such as spinal cord injuries, internal hemorrhaging, broken bones, lacerations, traumatic brain injuries, paralysis, and severe burns. Many people who are involved in car accidents are not sure what to do. However, there are several important steps you need to take to increase your safety and protect your ability to pursue compensation later on.
After a car accident, you need to:
- Call for help. If you’ve been involved in a car accident, it is important to check yourself and your passengers for injuries. You need to call 911, or have someone else call 911 so emergency personnel can arrive on the scene.
- Move to a safe location. If the vehicles are in the middle of an intersection or another dangerous location, it is important to move them to a safe place, such as the side of the road or a nearby parking lot. However, if the vehicles are damaged, or you are seriously injured, the best thing to do is to wait for emergency responders to arrive.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel uninjured, it is still necessary to make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible after an accident. Some injuries, such as whiplash, traumatic brain injuries, and internal organ damage, may not exhibit symptoms for hours, days, or even weeks after the accident. By seeing a doctor, you can receive the treatment you need and use your medical records to support your personal injury claim.
- Exchange necessary information. After you’ve been involved in an accident, it is important to exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver. You need to provide the name of your insurance provider and your policy number, as well as a contact phone number. If possible, write down the license plate number of the other driver and get his or her contact information.
- Gather evidence. Evidence is important when seeking compensation in a personal injury lawsuit. After an accident, you need to take pictures of all vehicle damage and injuries, request a copy of your medical records, get the contact information of any witnesses, and file a police report.
- Call our Honolulu car accident attorneys. After a car accident, you could be facing expensive medical bills and lost wages. Our legal team will help you pursue financial relief and hold negligent drivers accountable for their actions. The process of filing a personal injury claim can be complicated and confusing. With us, you can receive personalized legal assistance and informative representation every step of the way. We will gather evidence and represent you tenaciously.
For Quality Legal Services in Honolulu, Call Our Attorneys Today by Dialing (808) 537-2525
At Leavitt, Yamane & Soldner, we are committed to helping our clients pursue justice from negligent parties. Our Honolulu car accident attorneys have decades of experience. We will guide you through the process and work diligently to protect your rights and interests.
Contact our firm today to receive a free consultation.