Whether you are planning a Fourth of July party, or you simply want to grill up a steak for dinner, it is important to take precautions to prevent a fire. It is estimated that more than 7,000 people are injured by grill fires every year in the United States.
In order to increase your safety and avoid injuries, you need to follow these 5 basic grill safety tips:
- Keep your grill away from your home. As a rule, you should keep your grill at least 10 feet away from any structures. These include carports, garages, overhangs, and porches. If the grill catches fire, the flames could reach to your home and start a destructive blaze. The more space between your grill and your home, the better.
- Check for gas leaks before starting the grill. In order to check for gas leaks, you need to mix some dish soap with a little water, and spray or brush this solution on the hose and connections. If bubbles appear when you start the gas, this means there is a leak. Turn off the gas, tighten the connections and replace the hose if necessary, and then test it again to ensure there are no leaks. This can help prevent an explosion when you start the grill.
- Clean your grill before use. Grease is a major cause of flare ups. Before using your grill, you should inspect and clean it with a grill brush and water spray bottle to ensure all dirt, dust, grease, and other flammable materials are completely removed. This will help prevent cooking fires.
- Keep a fire extinguisher and water spray bottle close by. Having a water spray bottle and a fire extinguisher within easy reach is important. If a flare up occurs, you will be able to control it using the spray bottle without ruining your food. A fire extinguisher is important to put out a serious blaze.
- Stay with the grill while in use. A grill fire can double in size every minute. This means spending just a few minutes away from the grill could lead to a devastating fire. Always be near your grill while it is cooking, and prepare the food beforehand so you can do this.
Trust Leavitt, Yamane & Soldner for Compassionate & Aggressive Representation
At Leavitt, Yamane & Soldner, we believe our clients deserve the best possible representation. That is why we strive to provide stress-free services to all our customers. We understand you are going through a difficult situation. Our Honolulu personal injury lawyers will discuss your options and walk you through the process as you seek justice from negligent individuals.
Contact our team today to receive a free consultation.