When on vacation, we tend to shut off our minds and just go with the flow, as part of our quest for relaxation, adventure, and escapism. However, though this may seem like the best way to unwind, it also leaves us susceptible to careless mistakes which can lead to dangerous accidents or injuries–especially if we are partaking in recreational activities we normally don’t in our everyday lives.
The following are the 10 most common recreational vacation injuries, as well as how to avoid them:
- Bicycle injuries – Helmets and any other safety gear should be worn at all times.
- Sports injuries – Wear sunscreen, stay hydrated, wear the right shoes, and make sure you stretch before you do any rigorous activity.
- Trampoline injuries – Secure and maintain your trampoline, and only allow one person on at a time.
- Water sports injuries – Warm up before you get in the water, and to stay hydrated.
- Amusement park injuries – Follow all mandated rules, particularly to keep your hands and legs in the ride at all times, as well as to secure yourself safely before the ride starts.
- Swimming injuries – Don’t dive into any shallow water, especially if you can’t see how deep it is. Jump into any lakes, rivers, and the ocean feet-first so you don’t risk any injury to your head.
- ATV, moped, and mini bike injuries – While fun, these vehicles can pose a very serious risk and are the cause of many fatalities–so buckle up, wear proper safety gear, and drive slowly and carefully.
- Playground injuries – Make sure your child only goes onto structures which are low to the ground. Stay away from broken equipment as well as concrete.
- Exercise equipment injuries – Because it is so heavy, exercise equipment can be quite dangerous if not handled correctly. Make sure to turn all machines off before getting on or off.
- Hiking injuries – Use the buddy system. Stay hydrated, take breaks every so often, wear the right shoes, and apply a healthy amount of sunscreen before going on a hike.
Contact Our Hawaii Personal Injury Lawyers Today
At Leavitt, Yamane & Soldner, we have seen a multitude of these accidents occur to unsuspecting vacationers, and they often result in a number of painful injuries. If you have suffered from any recreational injuries and believe they are due to another’s negligence, our Hawaii personal injury lawyers want to help. Thanks to our results-driven approach, you can rest assured you are in more than capable hands with us on your side. We will relentlessly fight on your behalf to ensure you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Contact us by calling (808) 518-2120.